Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blindness



You don't realize how important punctuation is until you don't have it any more. This book was translated from Portuguese--the author is from Portugal. I don't know anything about traditional writing there, but I really REALLY feel like the translator should have modernized/fixed the punctuation. I couldn't get over it!!

Anyway, this book is about an epidemic of blindness. At first, the afflicted get separated and housed in an old hospital. Pretty soon hooligans take over, demanding money and other things in return for food. Finally, the compound catches on fire and the blind are let out of the compound to find that the enire world is also blind.

Great concept, terrible writing. I wish OSC would rework this concept. I was so bored that I didn't read the last hundred pages or so--just the very last one to see what happened. I don't really recommend this at all.

No comments: